The key objective of EUKN is to enhance the exchange of knowledge and expertise on urban development throughout Europe, bridging urban policy, research and practice.
EUKN is characterised by a demand-driven approach, based on the
needs of urban practitioners and policymakers. EUKN has developed
an extensive, high-quality knowledge database, based on shared
standards and protocols. This extensive e-library provides free
access to case studies, research results, policy documents, context
issues, network descriptions, updated news and meetings.
Over the past five years, EUKN has proven itself to be an efficient one-stop urban shop, providing city practitioners, policy makers, project managers and other users with high quality urban knowledge and experiences. At the same time, EUKN is more than a virtual knowledge network. It constitutes an international platform stimulating the exchange of knowledge and experiences during international and national meetings, and offering topical dossiers, expert opinions and specific practical assistance through the National Focal Points of the network and support for EU Presidencies.
EUKN is the prime network for urban policy makers, practitioners
and researchers throughout Europe offering high quality knowledge
and services which inspire them to make cities a better place to
live, work and play.
EUKN is a self-sustainable, intergovernmental knowledge network
with national focal points in all EU Member States, acting as a
knowledge hub for existing networks of urban practitioners,
researchers and policy-makers at all governmental levels.
- eLibrary for urban professionals: EUKN’s interactive European
portal website offers a comprehensive knowledge base containing
more than 5,000 validated documents on urban research, policy and
practice. In addition, the National Focal Point websites provide
country and context-specific knowledge in their national
- Topical dossiers on urban priority policy areas: EUKN maintains
topical dossiers on issues such as demographic change, integration
and local economic development;
- Conferences: EUKN facilitates face-to-face contact through
national and international meetings and conferences;
- Interviews: Every month, EUKN interviews key stakeholders who
give their expert opinion on an urban topic;
- Research and Practice Review and National Newsletters: EUKN
published a bi-weekly European newsletter on one of the seven main
knowledge domains, and most National Focal Points publish a monthly
- News and meetings: EUKN’s website gives an overview of recent development and the most important meetings on urban issues;
EUKN’s main themes
EUKN focuses on the following main themes
- social inclusion & integration;
- transport & infrastructure;
- urban environment;
- economy, knowledge & employment;
- security & crime prevention;
- skills & capacity building.
The eLibrary contains four types of documents:
- descriptions of best or proven practices;
- summaries of practical research;
- descriptions of successful policies;
- descriptions of relevant networks.
The EUKN e-library offers demand-driven knowledge. Feedback from
EUKN users is essential. Please share your comments, questions and
suggestions with us.