Programme of Restoration of the City Outskirts - Santa Coloma de Gramenet (Barcelona), ES
The Santa Coloma de Gramenet City Council has created a network of leisure areas and a Centre for the Interpretation of the Environment in its surroundings.
The Programme of Restoration of the City Outskirts was designed in 1994 to address several environmental and social issues:
- Uncontrolled dumps in the city outskirts.
- Need for green and leisure areas in the city.
- Unemployment and lack of professional skills in part of the youth of Santa Coloma de Gramenet.
- Need to raise public awareness and individual involvement in environmental issues.
The Santa Coloma de Gramenet City Council started in 1994 the Programme of Restoration of the City Outskirts through consecutive projects of environmental training workshops. Since 2004, a new objective is defined: the creation of a Centre for the Interpretation of the Environment. Its main goal is to raise awareness towards sustainable attitudes in the surroundings of the Park Serralada de Marina, often visited by citizens of Santa Coloma de Gramanet and Barcelona.
- 1,500 tons of waste removed from the forest area.
- 14 new leisure spaces in the city outskirts.
- 3,500,000 euros invested in creating a network of public leisure areas.
- Reduction of 85% in the number of uncontrolled waste dumps.
- 60% of labour integration in participants of environmental trainingworkshops.
- Over 10,000 trees and 30,000 bushes planted.
- 10 civil and neighbours’ associations take part in the decision process.
Tomas Carrión Bernal
Rated 0 time(s)