Newsletter No. 6 of the URBAN Intergroup at the European Parliament
The URBAN Intergroup focuses on a number of topics related to sustainable development of urban areas and brings together 70 MEPs representing most EU Member States.
This issue reports several recent events, to which the URBAN Intergroup contributed:
- the debate on 6 December 2011 about the future of urban development in Europe and the cohesion policy support for it in the new programming period after 2013;
- the seminar on 8 December 2011 on railway areas and their specificity in urban planning;
- the conference of 11 January 2012 that aimed to discuss how architectural policies can take a more active part in the development and the implementation of the European Union’s aims set out in the EU 2020 Strategy;
- the Urban Forum on 16 February 2012 aimed to lay the groundwork for a dialogue between the European Commissioner for Regional Policy and cities on the future of cohesion policy in terms of urban policy;
- the study visit on 16 February 2012 in Strasbourg whose objective was to see a reference retrofitting construction site, being in accord with the low energy standards promoted by the EU politics of reducing energy consumption;
- the seminar on 6 March 2012 on the different understanding of urban policy in the private and public sector;
- the presentation on 15 March 2012 of the results of the first preparatory study on the urban-rural partnership in the EU, assessing if they are mutually beneficial and conducive to regional growth;
- the internationale conference on 15 and 16 March 2012 whose main subject was the preparation of cities for the new programming period of the EU policies for 2014-2020;
- the conference on 22 March 2012 of the Cittaslow Network whose manifest highlights improving green quality areas with the surrounding towns, as well as ensuring that the cultural history and community values are maintained and strengthened.